Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lanyards!

Since I’m at a summer camp, I spend a lot of time making lanyards. Along the way, I’ve learned how to make some pretty cool ones. So today, I’m going to teach you how to start a lanyard. Also, if you need lanyard string, supposedly you can buy some at Wal-Mart.


I like to start a lanyard over my thumb, since it’s easier for me. If you can do without, go ahead. To start with, lay out your strings as you want, making a big “X”. A normal lanyard has one string lying the other way, and another lying another. You can make lanyards with as many strings as you want/can manage. Lay the “X” on your index finger, and pinch with your thumb. Make sure the bottom string is going up/down, and the other is going left/right. Take the up/down string(s), and loop it over, to make “bunny ears”. Now, for the lanyard, you want to go over/under, or if it’s bigger, over/under/over/under/etc. The key to getting your lanyard started is this pattern – I remember the word “overhang”. When you are choosing which side of the left/right string goes where, make sure the string is going over the hanging up/down bunny-ear on that side. If not, you need to switch where it is, or when you pull it tight, it’s not going to work. This is also true for larger lanyards. Then, pull it tight in an “x” formation, until you get your little lanyard checker-board. Voila! You’ve got a started lanyard.

Coming soon: The Basic Lanyard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...