Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Local Haunts - Cornish Pasty

My friend introduced me to a wonderful little (whole in the wall?) place in the Phoenix, Arizona area. I know there is one restaurant in Tempe and one in Mesa, but I'm not sure if they're anywhere else.

The first time I went, the atmosphere intimidated me a little bit - it is a bar, and their employees don't have a strict dress code, they just have to wear black. It was also pretty dark - not much lighting. (This is at the Tempe location). But my trepidation was soon assuaged - the staff is incredibly friendly and the food is amazing!

Almost everything this restaurant serves is in a pasty - think of it as a big, delicious hot-pocket that's perfectly warm and crispy and not too heavy. I've had the shepherd's pie (or cottage pie? whichever one is with ground beef and not lamb) and the chicken Greek pasties. The Greek one was my favorite - chicken, artichokes, feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatoes all in one delicious pastry, served with a mint yogurt sauce. Speaking of which, their sauces are amazing as well - I had one friend eat the sauce with a spoon and lick the ramikin clean... according to the waitress, everything but the ranch and ketchup are homemade at this restaurant. They have a pasty for basically every taste - there's a tiki masala one my friends swear by, there are fish and lamb and more traditional ones too.

Their dessert is the reason I went back though - they have homemade 12-hour caramel. They have a pie (really, a 6 inch by 6 inch square) called the banoffee pie - graham cracker crust, thick layer of caramel, bananas and handmade whipped cream, all drizzled with caramel. Mmmmm.

So if you're in the area - give it a try! I wish I had pictures to share... but I ate the food before I remembered too. It's just that good.

Check out their website and drool over their food here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...